Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Vista Smista & ANI Exploit

OK, I've gotten it out of my system. I'm not a fan of Vista I have two main issues in regards to Vista:
  1. The fact that Digital Rights Management (DRM) has some control over my system, and can degrade or disable viewing "premium content" when someone else feels that there is a potential for me to steal premium content. I'd call that guilty unless proven innocent.
  2. Then there is the marketing, I shouldn't call it scam, hype that Vista in invulnerable.
Issue 1 has been beaten to death by many people including myself.

For issue 2 I'll mention Microsoft Security Advisory (935423). This was commonly referred to as the Microsoft ANI vulnerability, and Vista was one of the version that was vulnerable.

ANI Details

In short this was disclosed to Microsoft in December of 2006. Apparently the first report of this vulnerability was used as an exploit was March 28th. Due to the wide spread use of the exploit several third parties released interim patches, including my favorite Zeroday Emergency Response Team (ZERT). Microsoft reacted, as it tends to do when third party patches are released, and the news media starts to publish... Microsoft released the official patch out-of-cycle on Tuesday the 3rd of April (instead of today the 10th of April)

No comments: